Friday, September 3, 2010

Recipe 10: Warm Potato Salad

This recipe had me wondering if it would be love after only a forkful, or if I'd be finding someone to give this too. It strongly resembles german potato salad friends tried to pass off to me as a child, and claimed was good. I never much cared for it. I'm not sure if it was the amount of vinegar used, or the type, or something with the potatoes. So, I gathered the ingredients for this recipe, with not a little trepidation...invited my nieces over for the weekend and proceeded to make the potato salad. Yes, I included the nieces.

I have two reasons for including the nieces, they get some idea of what goes into cooking, and they're more likely to eat it if they help make it. Sometimes, I even surprise them with good food out of stuff they don't like.
Alas, back to the salad of concern...I mixed and heated as the recipe said, I cooked up bacon, had some myself, knowing I was blowing my diet by eating some in addition to the potato salad, and a little while later, we had a good lunch that one of the two girls liked. Jessica, my 8 year old niece was not too keen on it-so we found her a peanut butter and "amazing" wild rosehip jam sandwich. Yum. I almost wanted one.
However, Elizabeth, the 6 year old really enjoyed the potato salad. I shared it with James, who was also concerned that it would be like German potato salad that we did not care for in earlier days. We were both raised on mustard potato salad; the more mustard, the better.
This recipe did call for whole grain mustard, and I have noticed it makes a difference. So maybe, all those years ago, people were using the wrong mustard. I'm not sure why, but this was much better than I expected. But I shouldn't be surprised, after all Emeril is a genius. I will definitely consider making this recipe again.

No comments:

Post a Comment