Monday, September 13, 2010

Recipe 13: Spicy Tomato Jam

I really do not remember which came first, the apple or the tomato...but they're both fruits of some sort, right? So I might have made the jam before the applesauce...the tomatoes spoil faster...but jams last a little longer with me. They take more sugar than applesauce...I need to make yellow tomato sauce soon...that will be a post for Blindly Dash on Facebook though. So, spicy tomato jam...sweet, but with a kick or two, or a kick and a punch, depends on who you're talking too. James would suggest I add cayenne...but he says that for everything;-), except some cheeses.

When you have more tomatoes than you know what to do with: prepare to stay up late..this is a great weekend activity. Add 4 cups peeled, seeded, chopped ripe tomatoes(2.5 to 3#); 2 lemons(peel cut entirely away, seeds removed, flesh finely chopped, 1 1/2 c. sugar, 2T. minced fresh ginger(I snuck in powdered-I was not going to the grocery store again.) 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper (here's your spice), and 2 pinches salt. boil down to make jam like consistency-stir often and much. This will take a half hour or so. Place jam in hot sterilzed jars, filling to within 1/2" from top, attach lids and rings. Cool.

Store in refridgerator up to 4 months. Or store in non-reactive containers up to 2 weeks-if you don't have canning jars.

After a couple of days, this jam does get a bit of a kick. I will definitely make this recipe again. Thankfully, I like things that take this kind of work. Its not hard, but it takes dedication.

No comments:

Post a Comment