Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Recipe 20: Buttermilk Candies

Somedays, you stumble on something so innocent, so good...you're not sure you should be there in the first place. I poured in two cups of buttermilk and twice as much sugar and somewhere in there added a quarter cup of light corn syrup...later I tossed in a stick of butter, and 2 tsps or so of vanilla extract. I wonder if I found the secret to certain commercial candies...an old favorite: Werther's original.

I probably gained three pounds, maybe five, just taste testing this batch of candy last night. It was so good and creamy, and while I didn't quite get to the softball stage as my pan was not quite big enough for this, we did get a delicious sauce that went very well over apples. My boss was kind enough to let me use work money to buy some apples for this treat. What an awesome boss I had...

Do beware the sugar coma...but if you're having a party or want some nice christmas gifts and have a little time, a little buttermilk, a lot of sugar, some cornsyrup, butter and vanilla...and kind of enjoy making fudge...get to work and enjoy the ooohs and aaahhhhs this recipe is sure to bring. How cute would it be to wrap these in wax paper or mini muffin cups, drop a handful into a baby food jar, decorate the jar and give them away as christmas gifts? I expect I'll be making this recipe again, in part to do just that...after I lose 10 more pounds, so I can afford to gain back 5 and still have lost;-).

No comments:

Post a Comment