Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Recipe 23: Bay, Thyme, and Rosemary Roasted Potatoes

I think I may have a new favorite food...and it is allowed on some diets! Now I want to celebrate. These potatoes just happen to be similar to a South Beach Diet recipe I'd been meaning to try, except Emeril adds a few more spices, and potentially, a little more olive oil.

Tonight, however, I was reminded of the importance of marking your jars when you store homemade spices or buy in bulk. I added chili powder in place of smoked paprika. I found and added the smoked paprika as well, and some cayenne for heat. I was reminded of mise en place(french for get your stuff in order first) and the need to organize my kitchen. But I muddled through the process.

These potatoes are excellent, especially roasted on the herbs. They browned very nicely and held a great flavor and texture. I can't wait to make this recipe again. They are roasted on a bed of rosemary, thyme and bay leaves with oil and salt and pepper in which they are supposed to be tossed. Next time, I will drizzle half the oil on the pan, lay down the herbs, add a little salt and pepper and toss the potatoes directly on the pan instead of in a separate bowl. I did use the bowl for the potatoes when I was finished, but one less step is always nice.

I will definitely make this recipe again. Its a great semi-healthy comfort food. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment