Monday, September 13, 2010

Recipe 12: Homemade Applesauce

"That's not applesauce, that's pie-filling. I want that recipe," says my best friend of 21+ years, Andrea. Yes, our friendship is old enough to drink. So, what makes this recipe different from all the other applesauce recipes out there? My guess is Love of Emeril, love of homemade applesauce, love of cooking, and brandy added in a little early and a little more later...oops...a little extra brandy-love there. I still think it cooked out most of the alcohol. So, you take a few pounds of apples that you cannot eat in a week. After all, the doctor only requires one to keep him away. You boil them in a pot with cinnamon, cider, allspice, nutmeg, and a little brown sugar. I added the 1/4 cup of brandy here...you're supposed to wait 30 minutes...I kept boiling and boiling and mashing with a wooden spoon, but leaving it chunky. I like my homemade applesauce chunky. After boiling for a while, at least 30 minutes, I went back to the mix, added the brandy-only 2 shots this time, and stirred for a few more minutes. I took the sterilized jars out of the oven, and begun the fun work of pulling the peels off the apples. You could take them off first, but they make the applesauce so pretty. I placed them in jars, and ate some on the spot. Nothing like fresh applesauce straight out of the pot. I had a half jar left after that, and made it my breakfast the next morning.
Yum, Yum...There's some love...I'm looking to pop a few extra dollars in my grocery budget to buy more apples to make more applesauce...I know what some people are getting for Christmas! I will definitely make this recipe again.

No comments:

Post a Comment