Sunday, September 26, 2010

Recipe 24: Tomato, Leek & Zucchini Galette

Yum. But I bet you're wondering: What are leeks and what is a galette? Leeks are large green onions with a better, slightly milder flavor; possibly a little sweeter. They still provide enough sulfuric acid when cut to make you leave the room;). A Galette, according to wikipedia: is "a is a general term used in French to designate various types of flat, round or freeform crusty cakes." According to me: it is a pizza/pie crust made using flat bread.

For this recipe, preparation, preparation, preparation. I decided to make it one evening after attending a civil war reenactment thinking it would take an hour from start to finish. I should have roasted the garlic that morning or the night before. Since time was running out for getting dinner on and I had to return my niece home before bedtime, I needed the pizza/galette done sooner than later. I skipped the roasted garlic and was grateful I bought roasted garlic goat cheese for this. I think there may be angels looking out for me after all.

There is a fair amount of slicing in this recipe, but its not too much...thankfully. Most of it can be done while the puff pastry firms up in the freezer. The fun part is spreading the goat cheese on while the puff pastry is actually frozen. I found a wooden spoon worked better for this than a knife. A rubber spatula is also suggested. The goat cheese gets mixed with olive oil, thyme and the roasted garlic. I expect it would be even better with the freshly roasted garlic in it, but some days you must substitute. The zucchini also gets mixed with olive oil and salt and pepper.

The leeks get sauteed while you mix up the goat cheese, the tomatoes drain while you mix up things and assemble other. After the goat cheese is on, you scoop the leeks around the entire puff pastry, leaving an inch on the outside to fold up the crust. Then you add the drained tomatoes, blotted dry with a paper towel, arrange them a circle around the entire pie crust, except the edge. Next comes the zucchini. Add a nice layer of zucchini, covering the tomatoes, then top it with a half cup of freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese. Make sure the cheese is even. Fold the crust over the edge of the tomatoes/zucchini and pop in a preheated oven at 425 degrees for 20 minutes. Let sit for 15 minutes before you touch it to serve.

Note: my 8 year old niece didn't think she'd like this and asked to watch a movie while I was making it. I had her help me add tomatoes, taste test the leeks and the goat cheese. Other than that my pizza pan has holes in it so the crust cooked quicker than estimated and burned slightly in some spots, she liked it.
James thought it needed meat. I thought it was a great vegetarian pizza.

My brother and sister-in-law may be getting a goat for Christmas;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment