Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Recipe 22: Herb-Crusted Halibut(Catfish)

At this time, Halibut costs $10.00 for 12 ounces, frozen. Fresh was not available. But Emeril included a nice save: any flaky whitefish will work. When I found Catfish at $7.00 a pound, I still cringed, but I bought a pound and decided I could work with that. Then, I'll be honest, I let James pay for it, he eats a lot of this food anyways...I should get him to add his comments...they can get interesting too.

However, we were cooking at Andrea's in Grand Rapids and that's two hours away. I did learn to make a list of the things I need to take as I forgot a couple of key ingredients. I did remember to put the catfish in the cooler bag. I added lemon juice to a bowl(I forgot to bring the lemon and Andrea doesn't keep this stuff on hand). I skipped the dill, James does not like it. I used dried tarragon Andrea had on hand. I had James chop the parsley and skipped the chervil. I have never seen chervil, nor heard of it before this point. If I had heard of it, I have long since forgotten it. I'll find it for next time I make this recipe, maybe. I do not recall if I added any other herbs. I did add in the black pepper.

Next, I salted the catfish fillets and rubbed mustard and oil on them, placed them in the pan and let them fry for 3 minutes on either side. While the fish were frying, I mixed the arugula with olive oil and placed it on four plates in quasi-equal portions. When the fish was done, I placed it on the arugula and served it up to primarily silence. Which when one is eating, silence may be golden.

I expect I will make this recipe again...Yum. Potentially more on Chervil to come, if I really discover what it is, as opposed to the idea that its a chef's prerogative to exert superiority in that he can name many more herbs than I can;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment