Monday, August 30, 2010

Recipe 2: Rosemary Buttermilk Scones

I drug the boyfriend, James, shopping with me on a night I did not feel up to braving the meijer alone. I sent him for the buttermilk. This recipe calls for a cup plus two tablespoons. I expected to buy a pint, and hope another recipe called for 3/4 cup or so of buttermilk, and that I wouIld have the rest of the ingredients magically on hand. Does this ever happen? Not in my world. So after a little deliberation, we bought the half gallon of buttermilk, and I decided to make Brown Irish Soda Bread, which uses whatever amount of buttermilk I desire as long as I have enough flour on hand. I was making the Tomato Tartare soon anyway, and that called for two cups of whole wheat bread crumbs. I decided Brown Irish Soda Bread would work well in this recipe. Now I have to give away some bread, too.


In making this recipe, I exchanged 3 cups of all-purpose flour for two cups of wholewheat flour and one cup of enriched all-purpose flour. I plucked a sprig or two of fresh Rosemary from the boyfriend, James' herb garden to add. There really is nothing like fresh herbs added to your scones.


I took them to class of women, heard accolades of "awesome" more than once and “I want that recipe.” One person thought they tasted cinnamon, and though I use cinnamon almost to the point of abuse, I didn't add any this time. I think they’re a success. I definitely will make these again.

No comments:

Post a Comment