Monday, August 30, 2010

Recipe 5: Welsh Style Cheese Toast

Hello, I learned a couple of things from this tasty and satisfying recipe. First, it takes a good deal of effort to hand-grate a pound of cheese, soft or hard. Second, sweet pimenton or smoked spanish paprika is hard to find. There is even a specialty spice shop four blocks from my house. They are closed for ten days.  
  
I considered that regular paprika might work in a pinch, but that would be too easy. So, I looked up smoked pimenton and sweet paprika on the internet and concluded i could "smoke"/roast my own bell pepper in the oven overnight and grate it. I did. I found a sweet smell to the grated roasted pepper that I never found with a regular, store-bought paprika. And now I have a couple of teaspoons for the next time I make this meal. The recipe only requires a 1/4 tsp, but what else will you do with a whole roasted pepper?

James, my boyfriend, enjoyed it and wondered what I would do to make it lighter. Part of me wonders if that's to get me to make this recipe again. He did that with the cheesy popovers and he was very clear that wanted me to make those again.

To make this recipe lighter, I'd use less fontina cheese, about half the amount, and trade about half of the monterey jack cheese for a part-skim, low moisture mozzerella or part skim ricotta. I could also slice the bread a little thinner. I could use less bacon, or turkey bacon, but only 4 slices were needed for 6 pieces of toasts or 6  servings. The bacon alone will not sabotage your diet...unless you eat the rest of the pack as a side dish. (I cook it up and give it away, allowing myself a small indulgence of one piece, or I put it in the freezer for next time). 

Overall, an excellent dish with great flavor. I'd definitely make this dish again, just not every week. Its a treat;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment