Monday, August 30, 2010

Recipe 3: Tomato Tartare with Micro-greens and shallot vinaigrette

I encountered two challenges when making this recipe. One, you are encouraged to search out heirloom tomatoes. Meijer, the local large supermarket that might have this stuff wanted $6.00 a pound for these tomatoes. Pretty and exotic they were, but I found myself at the local farm market paying $1.50 a pound for the quality tomatoes primarily brought in from local farms. I was really hoping my own tomatoes had ripened during my vacation.


The other challenge was the Micro-greens. I'd maybe seen a reference to them once or twice, but never paid real attention to them. Now I had to research them and find out what they were. My boyfriend,James, has heard of them, even seen them in our small town neck of the woods atime or two. In the end, I purchased mixed baby greens and used those.


I made my own Brown Irish Soda Bread for the wheat bread. Outside of the soda bread, there are a lot of steps and a little waiting with each step, so it took longer than I expected to prepare. I made up most of the components the night before, and refridgerated them to assemble the next day. Use a dense wheat bread if you do this though. I was probably quite lucky my bread did not turn soggy in the fridge, even after a light toasting. A lesser or store-bought bread might have.


I loved therecipe. "A little oily," James said, so next time, I’ll leave off the drizzle onthe top, or use a little less oil in the tomato mixture, but definitely a goodflavor. I don’t really want to share them, except with boyfriend James, as I can’t eat it all by myself. I definitely will make this recipe again.

No comments:

Post a Comment