Sunday, August 29, 2010

Recipe 8: Farmer's Market Frittata

So good, I've already made this dish again! And right now, while you have your pick of farmer's market veggies for almost dirt cheap, or your garden is overflowing with you needing to reap what you have sown...there is no better or cheaper time to make this dish. 

I made this dish at  Andrea's last Sunday morning for breakfast. I wake up hungry and Andrea takes her time to get hungry. Plus, making food gets me out of doing dishes...yay! Andrea and I each had some, and I recommend making this with a good whole wheat or whole grain toast. Its good, but not as filling as I like. But it goes great with breakfast toast. One of the beauties of this dish is that you can have it for lunch or dinner too.

Its relatively easy to put together, however it is best with an oven ready pan, which I don't own, nor does Andrea. So, I began the butter melting. I melted too much butter the first time and was left with a burned mess. Then I started the butter again and added onions and bell peppers in the skillet, next the mushrooms and corn get splashed into the pool, after a bit the ham was ready to join us and a little more butter. Finally the egg and cream mix arrived at the party; then herb and his friends, basil, thyme, parsley and whoever herb keeps around the house were able to join in the fun. Add the cheese and allow the bad jokes and puns to continue about 3 minutes, until the egg begins to set. 

Now, it can get tricky, if you have an oven-proof pan for this zany group, just shimmy it into the sauna(broiler) and let them sweat it out for a few minutes. about 3-4. If you do not, or you plum forgot to use it, you have to coax herb, his friends and all their cheese, even the chickeny eggs into an oven safe pan and then let them sweat it out for about 3 or 4 minutes. But when the party's over and everyone has sweated it all out, you'll find a fun after party being held right in your own mouth. Lucky for you, everyone likes a good water-slide;-). 

I did bring James home a sample of this, like a good girlfriend, and when I was debating what to make for Wednesday night dinner, he told me I could make this frittata again. And so, we replenished the ingredients that needed replenishing, and held another party for eggs, veggies, herb and friends and told them to bring all the cheese and puns they wanted to our sauna and after-party water slide. James was impressed that this dish was quicker to put together than the cheesy creole tomato pie he last helped me with. 

I'm sure we will be making this dish again.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment