Saturday, October 30, 2010

Recipe 37: Pumpkin Pie

This blog probably should be read in conjunction with Recipe 36: Pumpkin Puree, as I put a good portion of the pumpkin puree into the pie.

I was reminded today that a good, homemade pie crust takes time (and sometimes planning-not my strong suit). The good news is, instead of two days, like I ended up doing for the cheesy creole tomato pie, I made this in only a couple of hours. Its not difficult work, and its great if you have small errands to run or other chores to catch up on, or just want to sit down with a good book. But this time, I had my nieces over and didn't get to it last night. I had promised my nieces pumpkin pie after lunch. They were disappointed to hear they'd get it after dinner instead, but that comes later.
First, I began mixing the flour with butter. Salt may go in and a tablespoon of sugar I believe. When I had rubbed all the butter in, which James kindly provided as I had run out of sticks, I added the water, shaped a disk and wrapped it in parchment paper I'd been working the dough on and then plastic wrap. My nieces got hungry, so we made lunch and knocked out some quick errands. Then I pulled out the dough and played kind of smart. Normally you roll the pie crust out on another surface and transfer it to the pie pan and play with excess dough in the edges. That all sounded like too much work. So I put flour in the bottom of the pie pan, dropped the dough down, and proceeded to form the dough with small circles beginning in the middle. It requires a little attention but it was far easier than rolling out and transfering and fluting the edges or imprinting with a fork. Your dough will be a little thicker than the standard 1/8" in this case. I like doughy dough. Now, pop this back in the fridge, review the recipe...may as well start on the pumpkin when I bake the pie crust according to this.

I sat down to knit and watch the ending of "How to Train Your Dragon" again, then let the girls play outside for a bit. When the pie crust was ready, I sprayed the parchment paper with cooking spray, placed it in the pan, poured dried beans on it as weights and baked it for about 15 minutes. I began working with the pumpkin at this point creating the puree in the previous blog. Once I got the pumpkin, some juice, and the heavy cream in the blender and realized I had probably enough pumpkin for two pies, I decided to make a smoothie out of some and pie out of what I needed. I added spices. I did ad lib here a bit. The recipe called for a 1/4 tsp of each spice. That seems miniscule to my tongue(James may have begun to burn off my tastebuds after all...at least some of the better working ones). Of course, it could be that I like spices too. I included a full teaspoon of cinnamon and at least a full teaspoon of nutmeg. I kept the ginger and cardamom to a half teaspoon each. I thought about clove, and next time I expect I will add them, but this recipe did not call for them. After I mixed in the spices, I remembered the eggs. I worked the eggs in...this is much easier to do in its own turn earlier.

Then I poured the batter into the crust and popped it into the oven for nearly an hour. Not more than ten minutes after the pie was in the oven, the girls began to ask when it would be done. "I'll send some home with you for after dinner." I told them. They reminded me I'd said after lunch. I explained the pie wasn't ready yet, and proceeded to knit while I waited some more;-).

After the pie came out of the oven and cooled down, I cut some slices, piled two little girls into my truck with treats and drove them home. I remembered the pie, I forgot the 1 night rental movies. I was really glad my rentals are still half off.

When I returned home to my left-over pie, I decided I'd had my dinner, so I would taste a slice. I'm thinking now I should have made the second pie, even if I don't need it. Not only did it have a good flavor, it had an earthy quality you can't find in the store bought stuff. And pies are always better with fresh ingredients.
When I mentioned the earthy quality you can't quite place, he'd mentioned that he saw a show on a cooking channel the other day that equated nutmeg with earthiness...I'm liking nutmeg more and more now. I think it gave this pie an excellent flavor, even if it does become an earthy nutmeg pumpkin pie...I'm sure we can find a fascinating way to shorten the name without using the acronym for it.
I didn't even need whipped cream, though it would have been good.

I will definitely make this recipe again...when I have a weekend to devote...or just want to kick back and read a good book.

No comments:

Post a Comment