Monday, November 8, 2010

Recipe 38: Mashed Rutabaga

This was easier to make than I thought, though it is tough to chop the rutabagas...James, having more patience than me...by a smidgen, and more strength, tends to dice the rutabaga smaller than I did. Otherwise, its made very similar to mashed potatoes. Emeril does tend to use heavy cream...My upbringing used milk, when we got real potatoes...but this is Farm to Fork and I do it the way the recipe says first. It includes thyme and chives as well as a little butter, and salt and pepper to taste, of course.

It did have some of the slight bitterness left to it, but overall, it turned into a pretty good dish. However, I have learned that since usually I'm feeding 2 of us...I should halve each recipe as I was eating mashed rutabaga for lunch for a few days. Lucky for me, its pretty good, and something I will make again. I expect rutabaga is slightly more bang for your buck than starchy over-farmed white potatoes...And 1 rutabaga should yield just enough mash for James and I and will be considerably less chopping.

To make this more diet friendly, I would use a 1% or 2% milk, or even a half and half instead of heavy cream. I'm sure the cream gives excellent flavor and body, but when calories matter, use a lighter milk, or use cheese. Hmmmm....I see another tangent...

I expect we'll have to try this with cheese sometime...the question is, which one? I'm thinking a really sharp cheddar would go well with it...but so would parmigiano-reggiano...or any other hard or most soft white cheese.

I will definitely make this dish again...with cheese! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment