Monday, November 8, 2010

Recipe 39: Curry-Scented Cauliflower

Secret #1: "I'm not picky. I simply like the best." I'm sure someone else has uttered those words before...just not quite sure who. Secret #2: I have never liked cauliflower, especially in mixed veggies. I'd eat all the broccoli and carrots in there, but never ever the cauliflower...that's what trades and dogs were for;-).

So, I came upon this recipe with a wee bit of anxiety, but a good deal of hope, and a lot of faith in Emeril's abilities as a chef. But if I really didn't like it, that's what trades are for. Lucky for me, James does like cauliflower.

Then I happened to catch the episode of Emeril's _Fresh Food Fast._ He made them look easy, and told you how delicious your kitchen would smell...like you've been cooking Indian food all day. They did smell wonderful, and surprisingly, tasted good too. Not perfect, not exceptionally great...but good until I got into the middle of the cauliflower and tasted only cauliflower. It was a small transgression for this dish, and since cauliflower is healthy and this dish is very healthy, its worth another look.

The recipe tells you to mix all the other ingredients in a bowl, then pour over the cauliflower, coating it evenly. Emeril on TV shows you to sprinkle each ingredient over the cauliflower then add the ghee...being careful to toss and coat it evenly.

I sprinkled the kosher salt...a little more than I needed, oops; the curry powder, cayenne pepper, and the garam marsala (aka mix of 5 to 7 warm indian spices). Then I poured homemade ghee (clarified butter) over top. I tossed to coat and popped in the oven for almost 20 minutes. I forgot to stir midway through cooking. They still came out pretty good.

I will make this recipe again, just with smaller cut florets of cauliflower;-).

1 comment:

  1. I bought garam marsala a year ago and never figured out where to use it. So now, I see an example where it's good.

    ReplyDelete