Monday, October 25, 2010

Recipe 35: Emeril's Quick Cabbage in Beer

I have a secret...I am Irish-German and I don't like cooked cabbage. So, I wasn't too sure if I would like this one. So, I did my best to keep an open mind, prepped the butter, 2 c. onions, bay leaves, crushed red pepper, minced garlic, salt and heated in the pan for a few moments...making a note to buy older sweeter onions that don't have me tearing up with the first three cuts.

I had frozen the onions for 5-10 minutes to make it easier to cut. It was, this time. Then I minced the garlic on the sulfur soaked cutting board and wished I'd thought to mince the garlic first...note to self...mince garlic, buy vidalias. Panoche onions aren't too bad for tears either.

Then I cored and chopped the cabbage into 2" sections and added it to the pan. I added all the cabbage-the recipe said to add it half at a time and let it wilt in the pan for 5-6 minutes per batch. I left it until it started to wilt, then added the beer.

I purchased Leinenkugel's Fireside Nut Brown Ale for the beer because I like it...when I added it to the cabbage(which is pretty stinky), it smelled like beer and fermenting cabbage. I wished I had simply bought budweiser for this. I expect I would have gotten the same result...smelly cabbage.

I have tried the cabbage...and a full serving, not just a bite or two. I still didn't care for it. I may try it again tomorrow to be sure...I am a glutton for punishment some days..and I will get James opinion, and hopefully he will comment on this as he likes cooked cabbage instead of raw cabbage.

Funny thing is...if you mix the beer in for mayo in slaw, I'd probably love it, and declare it genius, James would probably hate it;-) I may have to put that one up on Blindly Dash! at some point.

No comments:

Post a Comment