Monday, October 4, 2010

Recipe 26; Crostini with Ricotta and Spring Peas

This recipe was a little tougher for me than some of the others. I almost set it aside until spring, but James likes peas and insisted I just buy them frozen and make it anyway. I did tweak a little bit in this recipe.

I decided on a multi-grain baguette instead of a french bread or roasted garlic baguette. I toasted the crostini in olive oil with salt and pepper as instructed. I added garlic to the ricotta, as well as olive oil and shallot. I did skip the mint, I forgot I had some on my window sill and a little in my front yard. I wasn't sure it would work. Knowing Emeril, I should know better and should go chop p a tablespoon plus a teaspoon and add it now. It could work well in here after all.

To the peas, which need to be blanched (brought to a boil and placed in ice water immediately after they boil), I added parmigiano-reggiano cheese and fresh basil leaves after James and I took turns mashing the half stubborn peas into the bowl. Next time, bigger bowl and a potato masher...and fewer peas...I might be eating peas as a snack all week. There are worse things I suppose.

To finish, you spread some of the ricotta mixture on the crostini(toasted bread) and spoon the peas on top of the ricotta mixture. Then you have cute little light snacks or hor d'oeuvres.

For James, and in the spring, when I can get fresh spring peas, I will definitely make this recipe again.

No comments:

Post a Comment