Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Recipe 120: Turnip and Radish Slaw with Jumbo Lump Crabmeat and Chive Oil

The challenge: 1) Affording crab, but you've heard enough about my money woes this week...2) Keeping it all together. This recipe has a long ingredient list that fills part of the next column, you know you better pay attention at that point. In addition, it has only four directions, but its enough to keep you on your toes, especially if you are making some of this ahead of time on the weekend; 3) making it okay to "cheat" in my cookbook.

The recipe: shallot, fresh chives, dijon mustard, tarragon leaves-fresh, fresh chervil, fresh parsley, drained capers, cornichon(sweet gherkin pickles), champagne vinegar(never assume you have champagne vinegar), grapeseed oil, salt, white pepper, turnip, radishes, mayonnaise, lemon juice, cayenne pepper, jumbo lump crabmeat, chive oil, chive blossoms(optional)...Have I lost everyone yet? I don't know if i was just tired, was distracted, or what happened, but I felt like I was forgetting something often in this recipe. It might have been recipe-itis...I made four recipes this weekend, three to blog about, and managed another soup on Monday and a crock pot of corned beef tuesday night. Just when I thought I was running out of food...or food to cook with.

Alas, back to the cooking. Step 1: combine shallot, chives, mustard, tarragon, chervil(skipped-simply haven't found it and am not paying amazon.com to ship it), parsley, capers, cornichon, vinegar,and grapeseed oil. Season with salt and pepper. This makes the vinaigrette, in case you are new to these...champagne vinegar...I found three rice vinegars, two cooking wines, port, five or six of mom Rose's homemade vinegars, red wine vinegar, white cooking wine, white wine vinegar is a possibility and balsamic vinegar, but no darned champagne vinegar. I then went to the grocery store for the champagne vinegar I was sure I had. They had three quarters of the same vinegars I had, excluding mom Rose's vinegars and probably the brown rice vinegar...but no champagne vinegar. I looked for a reasonably cheap champagne but in the end decided to use white wine, then I found the white wine vinegar or white cooking wine, and called it happy. It worked well. When I researched champagne vinegar on the internet the next day, I found my substitution was perfect. What can I say, sometimes I get it right.

Step 2: the easy step...in a medium mixing bowl, toss 1/4 cup of vinaigrette with the julienned turnip and radishes. As I'm slicing the turnip, I recall something about planning to make a half batch as I only bought half the amount of crab. Too late now. We'll use less crab, is all. Some days you gotta dance.

Next, or step 3: combine the mayo, lemon juice(at least I found a lemon while I hunting down champagne vinegar) and cayenne in a medium bowl. I confess, I did this the next night, and used a small ramekin, only to have to transfer it to a regular dish. Most of my dishes were already back in the sink. Darn stubborn dishes refuse to wash themselves. Next, I add 1/4 cup of the vinaigrette and add the crabmeat and toss to coat. It has a good flavor, but what am I forgetting? We'll find it.

Step 4: Divide turnip-radish slaw among the plates(or scoop out your portion if you are saving this for later), Spoon the crabmeat on top of the turnip and radish slaw. Try to keep the crabmeat lumps intact as you do this...does this man realize my middle name is not Grace? Actually it was easier than I thought, but I cheated and bought claw meat. Which, I really enjoy crab as long as its the real stuff and not imitation. Next, drizzle the Chive oil around each plate and garnish with the chive blossoms, if desired. I wasn't paying for flowers for this dish. The crab meat and out of season herbs cost me enough, and I'd already made a couple of substitutions or just plain left some out. Of course, it'd help if I'd remembered to make the Chive oil before I tried it.

I think I've made the chive oil once before and blogged about it. If not, its similar to the basil oil and pretty easy. --Please see Recipe 67. Once I did have it with the chive oil, we found it was really good. Before it was just okay. I can see James asking for this one day, or suggesting I sear the turnip and radish before I make this so he has an easier time eating it.

I will probably make this recipe again, likely if I get to celebrate a raise this year;-). Happy crabbing, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment