Monday, October 3, 2011

Recipe 115B: Homemade Sauerkraut, Attempt #2

The Challenge: Where did I go wrong? See the first Recipe 115 blog for the whole story.

The recipe: I thinly sliced a bigger cabbage, layered with salt-liberally, added jalapenos, garlic cloves and red onion. I finished with cabbage and salt. I found a flat plat that fit my purple measuring ribbon to make sure it fit in my crock pot. I included cheesecloth in the covering, and after three days when I couldn't see water forming, I added a bottle of water, and used four plastic 16oz bottles of water to weight it down. A gallon jug of water would have worked well too, since I didn't have a brick to wrap in foil. I thank the lady at Ace Hardware at the end of town who suggested the gallon of water when I couldn't find a good brick at a hardware store. All the landscaping stores were closed.

Back to the sauerkraut...after adding the little bit of water until I could see liquid, I let nature run its course. I still didn't smell aromatic to me, in fact, sometimes it smelled more funky, but I left it alone for another week and a half, and checked it once I got home Saturday evening. I bravely skimmed the gunk that had formed on top the plate and cheesecloth while it was stored in my basement. Then I more bravely lifted the cheesecloth and plate and placed it in a gallon bucket that comes in handy for playing with lots of pickling and canning stuff.

I had beautiful white sauerkraut that didn't have too much horrid smell at all. I was really worried my whole house would smell like cabbage or sauerkraut. After cooking squid last week, I might not have nose enough left to notice. Maybe I should just open my windows for a day soon, while its still kinda warm out;-).
Again, back to my beautiful creation. I was also check on icicle pickles while making this and wanting to drink the cup of hot chocolate I'd just doctored. NO, I am not pregnant. I held off on the hot cocoa until I washed down the sauerkraut and sweet pickle tastes. I hope I didn't gross anyone out.

The sauerkraut was quite surprising...it was good, not bitter and almost crisp-tasting. It was good enough I decided I'd give it away as a gift. I hope the recipients enjoy it, I'm sure it will be a bit of a surprise. In addition, I think I canned 8 jars of sauerkraut-so if you're willing to return the jar to me, I'm willing to share the sauerkraut with you.

I will make this recipe again...in about five years, when I run out of sauerkraut or have given it all away and have forgotten that I don't eat sauerkraut often. Maybe next time, I'll add caraway seeds and see if I can claim I've made sweet sauerkraut;-). Call or email me, or even comment if you want some fresh homemade Sauerkraut...

No comments:

Post a Comment