Saturday, October 15, 2011

Recipe 118: Simple Oyster "Stew"

The challenge: Oysters. Never cooked with them before, don't think I've ever had them. I was also at a quite "Poor" week for food budgeting this week, so I settled for canned oysters. Since I have another oyster recipe to make, I might try fresh for this. The second challenge: Making this later than planned one evening so I could have lunch the next day. James and I finally got into something of a schedule and plan for cooking and buying groceries. We both end up with enough to feed 1.5 to 2 people every week. Lately, we'd started letting him buy most of the meat and I'd buy a roaster bird and the veggies. It worked for a while, but he's going on a diet I'm not quite adventurous enough to try, and I'm working to simply increase my exercise in order to lose weight. But enough about weight, let's get to the cooking...

The recipe: is actually healthy in small doses or reasonable serving sizes. I've also been halving the recipes to save a little money and not have so much to freeze or toss. I'm guilty of forgetting to freeze it. But what really happened. I got home one night, after serving dinner, and realized I'd have nothing for lunch if I didn't cook. So I got out the butter, and the borrowed celery seed. The recipe called for 1/4 cup of celery, which James had just finished off because it needed to be used. I decided a Tablespoon or two of celery seed would work in its place. After all, celery is used for its flavor. I sauteed it for a few moments carefully then added flour trying not to let it brown. I worried over this because the celery seed is brown, so its hard to tell. Then I added the whole milk and heavy cream. I whisked my right arm off while I waited for it to thicken.

Next I added salt and pepper, and a little cayenne pepper(which was hiding in my sink). I think I snuck in a dash or two of hot sauce as I located the cayenne pepper. Then I chopped the green onions quickly, then tossed them into the the pot. Next, I smashed a clove of garlic and tossed it into the pot. Nothing gets placed gingerly in my kitchen, except maybe a wine glass. Next I tried to locate the can opener-I'm sure it was set gingerly upon the counter behind whichever pot I didn't look behind(all sarcasm intended). I ended up using a 'Gerber' left over from my Navy days, or a 'multi-purpose tool' to you land-lubbers, in order to open my canned oysters. I dumped everything in, once they're opened. It called for any oyster liquor with the shucked oysters for flavors, so I included the liquid they were packed in. Once I let them cook for a few minutes, I added the spinach and set some of it aside for lunch the next day. Normally, you wilt the spinach, but I knew I'd be reheating this soup and the spinach would wilt then.

I tasted it for lunch with my small piece of left-over chicken and enjoyed it much, even if it didn't quite go with them. The next time I tried it, James and I were having dinner and I splurged for my favorite treat of Italian Cheese bread-okay, okay, I'll take baked bread and cheese just about anyway I can get it, but I found this Italian Cheese Bread I enjoy really works with the oyster soup. Its called a stew, but its really a cream based soup. If I would have remembered the oyster crackers I have in my cupboard, I might have remembered to add them.

I will make this recipe again, James even liked it, but next time, with real fresh oysters, not just the canned, salty ones. Hope you enjoy and like oysters. It did made a good soup. Happy Souping!

No comments:

Post a Comment