Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Recipe 45B: Creamy Turnip Soup

The challenge: While looking for the Chive Oil blog, I see that I have already made this soup. Guess I'd better start marking my recipes better!
What took me so long to discover(worse, remember) this sweet, sweet chowdery soup?
There was little challenge. Turnips are quite affordable right now, and the soup went together very easily. I think it was another ready in under an hour recipe...two in the course of a week or so...I must be on a roll. But let's roll right past me and onto the food.

The recipe: Almost too easy, and very tasty...it leaves me tempted to go buy some turnips now, but its dark, so the farmer's market is closed. I melted the butter in a saucepan and added onions to caramelize. I then added the garlic and thyme sprigs(tied in cute little bundle). I cooked until my kitchen smelled like garlic and onions. Then I added the diced turnips, chicken and vegetable stock(which you can omit either one) salt and pepper and brought the soup to a boil. Then you reduce it to a simmer and cook until the turnips are quite tender, 20 to 25 minutes.

Next, I removed the thyme bundle and added the heavy cream. Once it cooled down, I pureed the soup in a blender and served it. Then I remembered the sour cream and forgot the pinch of chives. Later, I added the chives.

I did make this recipe again and will again. Next time, maybe with potatoes, but also with turnips. Next time, hopefully I'll have remembered making it;-). Is this what you get when you take over a year to cook through too many recipes? They have a sweeter, slightly earthier flavor than potatoes, that I really enjoy. It was an excellent soup both James and I enjoyed greatly, and he will be subjected to again, especially since turnips are cheap right now;-), and it doesn't call for many exotic ingredients.

No comments:

Post a Comment