Saturday, October 15, 2011

Recipe 119: Roasted Spaghetti Squash with Parmesan Curls

The challenge: Make spaghetti squash something people will eat. I wondered that Emeril didn't hide it in sauce, but if you do it right, maybe you don't need to. Let's see what happened.

I got up last Saturday morning and began the squash cooking with oil and salt and pepper. I slightly overcooked it as I was ordering photos on the computer, but it still looked like it would work out. I pulled it out of the oven and left it to rest while I ran errands, picked up photos and my nieces and my 'little sister' (BBBS). Once I got home, I shredded half a squash and added herbs when my nieces weren't looking. I snuck in basil, thyme and possibly some parsley, and whatever else sounded good. I had my 'little sister,' Yvonne, shred some of the parmigiano reggiano, and let my nieces help with some of it. Then I microwaved this squash, stirred and served with cheese. They ate it. Some wanted more. I did good. I found an Emeril recipe the kids liked, I thought it was almost a miracle.

The real miracle happened later when my nieces and Yvonne all enjoyed the chicken enchiladas we tossed together for dinner, they were declared good as well, and well according to Yvonne, there wasn't a recipe in sight. She was in the kitchen, the recipes were in the dining room and used as reference points only. Sorry, Emeril, the spaghetti squash was good, but my chicken enchiladas were even better.

I may make the recipe again as I go on a squash is healthy kick, but only if I have a good Parmigiano-Reggiano(okay, a reasonable one-which still leaves my food budget on the poor side). It was the Bel Gioso cheese that made this so good in the end.

Happy squash making, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment