Saturday, October 1, 2011

Recipe 116: Spanish-Style Braised Squid

The challenge: Squid? I've never eaten squid, and I don't live on the edge of the sea...if only I'd thought of this project when I lived in Virginia Beach-I might have caught my own fresh fish. Alas, I didn't, and I learned that frozen, already cleaned squid were actually pretty affordable.
Challenge 2: Albarino wine. Its a white, I've made no secret of how little I like or cook with white wines. I'm getting to the point where I think Emeril relies on them far too much. I went searching for Albarino, having written down a high-end, but still reasonable price(for my pocketbook anyway) in my cookbook. I must have been checking online or someone had a special. I actually found it on a day when I had to drive to Midland anyway. When no one else in Clare or Mount Pleasant had it, that I learned of, I found three different Albarino's at Eastman Party Store in Midland. Now I know where to go ask about a dry white wine...and as long as James and I have some cash flow, maybe we can turn this into a monthly date-night;-).

The recipe itself isn't all that hard. I'm not sure if that takes away from it or helps it. But I have more to say about the Albarino than about the squid. James doesn't like squid, something about the texture. I tasted them as I was cooking them-making sure it was a done one. He was right.

I began caramelizing onions and then garlic in the saute pan, then added the Albarino wine-chilled as cool as my fridge would get it, Next, I added the ringed squid and tentacles. then went to work chopping the parsley and oregano leaves to add in and squeezed in the lemon juice. Then I added the capers, salt and pepper and pimenton(smoked paprika). I cooked until the squid was tender as I was told.

While I waited for the squid to get tender, I sliced a few pieces of Roasted Garlic Bread(the good stuff from Meijer). I tasted the squid as I mentioned before and it was a little rubbery and left a little to be desired. However, somehow, when I placed some squid mix on the bread like a tapa and tasted, it was much better. It actually had good flavor. Though, I will admit, being a girl, eating too many squid tentacles can get a little freaky. The flavor isn't enough to justify the look.

I would make this recipe again, but likely, only if requested, and that person must promise to take home the leftovers. I will eat them, just not quickly.

The Albarino, was not quite as good as white wine gets, but almost. I really thought afterwards I should have stuck with the Reisling I bought previously, but I might just save that up for the next fish recipe Emeril has me cook.

Again, I will only make this recipe again by request. Not my favorite one, I think you have to like squid quite a bit to really enjoy this recipe. Next, I think I'm investing in some sort of wine guide...unless someone is looking for Christmas gift ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment