Sunday, January 30, 2011

Recipe 55: Quinoa with Toasted Pecans

The challenge: small this week, Pecans take up a larger part of the food budget when you work for peanuts. I really need to start working more for pecans. Other than that, I think I have yet to encounter such a simple recipe in this book. That may be challenge #2-searching out an easier recipe.

I mixed 1 part quinoa to two parts chicken stock, brought it to a boil, then simmered for 15-18 minutes. In the meantime, I chopped 1/3 cup of parsley leaves and a 1/4 cup of pecans. I then toasted the pecans until they smelled good. I set them aside in a ramekin and enjoyed my morning coffee while I waited for the quinoa. Once it was ready, I mixed it all in together added a tablespoon of olive oil, and enjoyed a refreshing nutty breakfast with a parsley that added a nice bit of flavor to it. I didn't expect the parsley to be so enjoyable or this to be such an easy to make breakfast dish.

Challenge #3: get more quinoa and keep some chicken stock in the house. Yes, chicken stock, it appears to be for breakfast too. I will definitely make this recipe again. James had already eaten when I called him to tell him it was done, so I'll have to add his take on it later.

I will definitely make this dish again.

No comments:

Post a Comment