Sunday, January 23, 2011

Recipe 53: Five Grain Salad

The challenge, Part 1: Amaranth-where in the world do I buy this? And can I get it for less than $10.00 (for about a pound)? I checked a local co-op. They used to carry it, but not any longer. I checked Meijer and Witbeck's(my local grocer), they didn't carry it either. I called the local health food and supplement store. They no longer carried it. James and I finally remembered the Spice Shoppe, but they went out of business in November. I looked online, and found the cheapest on e-bay for $2.10, but had to pay $6.95 shipping. I hate paying more than shipping costs. Even if it does come to my door. I estimated this was more than shipping costs. And everyone else wanted ten dollars or more for Amaranth. Finally, after nearly two weeks of searching-including Grand Rapids and Midland stores; I made a trip to the local health food store and inquired. Maybe she had some in back she hadn't sold. No, but she would order me some. I ordered it, to the simple tune of $4.49 for a pound and waited for it to come in.

The challenge: Part II, This recipe includes rice and long grain wild rice blend. Both take long times to cook-about 45 minutes. I only own two medium sized saucepans and one small one. One of the medium sized saucepans was being used for tomato sauce for a non-Emeril recipe. I do like to knock a recipe or two out during the week, so I don't have to worry so much about creating up to three recipes on the weekend. This recipe is technically five recipes in one. I started it Thursday night, only to find myself searching for something suitable to serve for dinner, as this was going to take some time, oops.

The great 5 in 1 recipe includes Amaranth, Quinoa, Millet and Wild Rice in addition to brown rice(fancier is better). I think I used Jasmine rice. I still subscribe to a food budget. Its also rice I used for a previous recipe. After I cooked most of the grains, and I think I overcooked the Amaranth, I put the recipe aside, as my bedtime arrived sooner than I liked. I revisited the recipe on Saturday evening after a family gathering. I re-did the Amaranth, realizing my ratios were off, and came out with a nutty, well-intentioned grain creation. I proceeded to dice the fennel, radishes, and chop the fennel fronds, I added the liquids, and segmented and chopped the orange and juiced 1 of the oranges for a liquid. Then I added the salt and pepper and mixed it in with the grains.

I tasted it before I put it in the fridge and thought I had near perfection. I put it in the fridge overnight and took to my brother's house for the last of our Christmas gift exchanges(thank goodness;-)). I did taste it in the morning, as a very small part of my breakfast--It was still good but was probably better the night before, when everything was mixed fresh.

The recipe calls for this salad to be refridgerated from 4 hours up to 4 days then served at room temperature. I personally, would mix it, and serve it still warm. I would also add more oranges.

It does make a lot, and I might make this recipe again, though James did not care for the flavor(not enough hot peppers, I think;-)). I think I will make it again upon request only.

Also, because the grain seeds for the non-rice portions of this tend to be a little crunchy and small, they get into sensitive teeth more than expected. Even the rice can sneak in there if you are not careful. Some people that tried it, while they enjoyed the flavor, found it difficult to eat due to their sensitive.

Then my oldest niece, Jessica tried it. Her grandma and I joked about the reports going back to her brother and sister: "Psst, don't eat the salad, its not good." I didn't catch the first part of whether she really told her sister, "don't eat the salad," or to eat it. The part we all caught was, "It's whole grain." I suspect its close to what Grandma and I were joking about, and we all overheard her, for a good laugh. The recipe may not be perfect, but its reasonably healthy;-) and still edible, as long as you like whole grain.

No comments:

Post a Comment