Friday, January 7, 2011

Recipe 50: Orangecello

Happiness, bottled. I think. However, I've had to pour more than one drink, so it must be fleeting happiness...alas...have a health.

So, take a bag of oranges, 8 to be exact and zest them. Set the oranges aside for another purpose-Orange cranberry sauce (though you need zest for that as well), orange-clove pomanders(lots of cloves;-)), etc...maybe orange curd to be made for rosemary scones...looks like I'll be making those again.

Zest oranges into glass jar, add alcohol(Everclear), seal tightly. Let sit four days until zest is pale and alcohol is orange. This scared James, so of course I was curious, but we haven't tasted yet. The Everclear itself is pretty strong.

Then you make a syrup, but its more water than sugar, a little more than 2:1. Stir frequently until sugar dissolves and syrup is clear, do not allow to boil. Allow syrup to cool, add it to alcohol blend and stir to mix. Pour into clean bottles with tight-fitting screw tops or corks, Set aside for two weeks at cool room temperature to allow alcohol to mellow.

So, I started on this about a week before Christmas, and it was technically ready Wednesday or Thursday night. I had James bring it out of the basement tonight while he was doing laundry. We tried it, of course. I thought it tasted like a screwdriver without all the orange juice. James made whisky face and declared it too sweet. Too sweet is what I love about it, though it has been making me crave sweets tonight.

I must admit, I went over to James' after 10PM to claim the cookies that were left there and some left over magic bars, all the while looking at the recipes for the healthier food I should be eating.

Its good, but will I make this recipe again? Probably, as it will make nice gifts for adults that have turned 21 or older and enjoy imbibing, and some days, when you definitely need a beer, but one won't cut it, maybe I'll pull this out again. My cares are certainly forgotten right now, I even listened to my best friend's complaints almost cheerfully tonight due to this stuff. It does make some things easier, the question is: will I get up in the morning? And how will I feel? But it is a fun little ride while it lasts.

Happy Imbibing...beware the gifts of Tanya, they may include strong alcohol;-).

No comments:

Post a Comment