Sunday, January 16, 2011

Recipe 52: Green Onion SpoonBread

The challenge: remembering that I wanted to add to this recipe when I made it. Epic fail;-). Most of the time, I have cooked a recipe exactly as it is listed in this cookbook, and most other attempts. However, in the intro, this recipe suggested adding garlic, corn or bacon or to let your imagination run wild. It still came out good, it just needed something. I was thinking paprika or peppers. A friend suggested bacon once I clarified that its like a corn bread, only moister than I remember ours being, and not as dense.

I felt like I was cooking grits with milk, buttermilk, heavy cream and a little salt and pepper, then adding green stuff and baking it. I had to include egg whites beaten to a stiff peak and their yolks got mixed into the batter first, but it still came out good and moist, and probably able to be eaten with a spoon of one desired. That's my guess with the name.

This bread is pretty quick and easy to make, which is a plus and it stays very moist.I will add some bacon crumbles and maybe some garlic cloves next time I make this bread. I may even post an update when I do. I will definitely make this recipe again, I expect it will even be requested, with additions. It may be interesting to see what James' imagination will come up with when he tries this tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment