Sunday, January 30, 2011

Recipe 54: Carrot Salad

The Challenge: coordinating dinner with James. First he forgot I had plans to make dinner, and pulled out chicken breast that needed to be used and got veggies ready. So, Wednesday night was out. I planned for Thursday night, but fell in Curves as I was getting ready to workout. I called him to tell him I'd be home early to put ice on my knee. I still planned to make dinner at this point. The knee was only bruised, but he so thoughtfully called and offered to pick up KFC for dinner. I really couldn't turn him down. I was planning to make MorningStar Spicy Black Bean burgers with the carrot salad, and part of me couldn't help but wonder if he wouldn't just keep making dinner till I made the veggie burgers for lunch on the weekend and served him one cold later. I decided my sweet James was simply being thoughtful. The next night, after wearing heels to work foolishly, and throughout shopping, I was ready to be done.

But he came over and offered to help even. I was grateful, my knee was ready to rest. It didn't get to right away, but I was on my feet less than if I'd been cooking for someone who didn't help with dinner. He even ribboned the carrots for me the way I showed him to;-), according to the book instructions. He also minced the ginger, garlic and sliced the shallot as requested. How sweet is this man?

I grated the lemon zest, juiced the lemon(found the new wooden reamer a wonderful tool), added the honey and salt, some cayenne(I don't know where my crushed red pepper went off to-might have left it at James'), and James chopped the mint.

I blanched the carrots in oiled and salted water, and whisked the vinaigrette with the above spices and olive oil and cumin powder. I skipped the mortar and pestle. I don't think I have one, and I didn't ask James to bring his over. I combined the carrots and the vinaigrette, then added the mint and cayenne pepper.

It was a nice, simple refreshing salad, but not one James would want made for him. He wasn't impressed. I think you really have to carrots or ginger and lemon juice to enjoy this dish more. James did think I might have added two much of one or the other, and since I'm known to have a heavy hand with ginger and I didn't measure the lemon juice, he's probably right. (But you are all sworn to secrecy!).

I myself would make this dish again, but probably for a dish to pass at a party or for a small brunch gathering with friends, probably using a little less lemon or ginger or both.

2 comments:

  1. Hurrah for wooden juicy things!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Denise, I can see your comments now! Enjoy the rest of the recipes!

    ReplyDelete