Sunday, April 17, 2011

Recipe 83: Fresh Horseradish Cream Sauce

The challenge: 1) Picking out horseradish. 2) Grating fresh horseradish. 3) Wondering if I'll even like it. 4) Having enough garlic.

I've never used fresh horseradish, let alone grated it. Emeril is kind enough to warn you it is not for the meek, and if you are meek or desire less tears you may wish to use the fine grating attachment in your food processor. This is how he starts out. So last night, I grated half of a fresh horseradish, wondering what I'd do with the other half. I stored it overnight in the fridge, and added it to 3 cups of heavy cream with the shallots I chopped last night.

I began mincing the garlic and realized I would not have enough for this recipe. So, I ran over to James' to grab a head of garlic. Once I had my go to garlic in hand, I finished mincing the garlic and tossed it in the pan. I added the dijon mustard and kosher salt and black pepper, then brought the mixture to a boil.

Once it boiled, I simmered for a bit, close to the 12 minutes I was supposed to. Busy chopping parsley, garlic and grating lemon zest for the gremolata(for the beef rib roast), I wasn't paying very close attention to time. I stirred it a couple of times, then took it off the heat. It still came out very well.

I commented above that I did not know if I would like this. I'm not sure if I've ever had horseradish sauce. I may have tried it at Arby's, but I don't recall ever using it myself, I prefer Arby's other sauce, the sweet red one I can't remember the name of, maybe I need to go get some;-).

Alas, this was a good recipe, though I was grateful for the break from the horseradish when my aunt called. I will probably be talked into making this sauce again, but I'm not sure if I will volunteer it again, unless I know someone really loves horseradish sauce. It was very good flavor, but a lot of work for something I don't use often. Considering it often goes on food I normally cannot afford, I won't be making it often;-).

But as I said, I will most likely make this recipe again.

No comments:

Post a Comment