Saturday, April 16, 2011

Recipe 81: Pink Lady Apple Martini

I was planning on having this with the Outstanding Rib Roast with Gremolata, except, I didn't get to this meal today...so tomorrow, I get to eat good and hope I have leftovers. I bought a roasting chicken just in case(now to decide what to stuff it with;-)).

The challenge: Getting a good vodka. I don't drink hard liquor often. I prefer red wine(the drier the better) or beer(the stronger and darker, the better). Originally, I bought the cheap stuff, I don't even recall the name of it. James told me I should use the Sobieski, which is affordable yet good. I decided to buy a pint tonight since the recipe only takes one cup.

The second challenge: I will have to try this recipe in the fall when I can find Pink Lady apples, or some other flavorful, crisp apple falling off the tree...suggestions will be welcome.

This is one of the easiest recipes I have made in this book, and it helps me to feel a wee bit chatty this evening. It takes 2 pink lady apples, vodka, 4 teaspoons apple juice(I used 4 tablespoons-must have read it wrong. It also takes a tablespoon of superfine sugar a teaspoon of fresh squeezed lemon juice and some ice cubes. I used between 8 and 10. Cut the apples into 1/2" chunks, discard the cores and toss all but the ice cubes into the blender. I added the ice cubes...oops. I pureed for 30 seconds until smooth then pressed the mix through a fine mesh sieve into a bowl. Then I placed the mix back into the blender. I think blending the ice cubes makes up for not having a cocktail shaker. It came out good, and was a little stronger than I expected, but was very good. I will definitely make this recipe again, potentially in the fall with apple cider in place of the juice and for the ice cubes. with a slice of ginger, this could be a great fall libation.

I will definitely make this recipe again. I may have come in under $10 on this recipe as well...It depends, I think, if you count all the vodka or just the cost of 1 cup I needed for the recipe.

Happy cocktail shaking!

2 comments:

  1. I just ate a pink lady apple last week, I got it from walmart. I was all set to make this too until I got to the part about the sieve, I don't have one :C

    ReplyDelete
  2. Improvise;-). Use muslin and squeeze out the juices, or a clean dish towel. It's the same thing, you just get messier. I really don't like the sieve-think its a big pain, but they come in handy sometimes. I got a cheap set of 3 for $5.00 or so at wal-greens, because it seems I always need one...but now that I think of it, I have muslin;-).

    ReplyDelete