Monday, April 11, 2011

Recipe 79: Smothered Shrimp and Andouille over Stone-Ground Grits

The challenge: Three recipes in one on a weeknight is near insanity. James seriously considered having me committed. I thought I was prepared, this time. Mostly I was, but when I added in the asparagus flan as a side dish, I forgot that I hadn't prepped the dish.

I had already peeled and de-veined the shrimp, and chopped most of the vegetables. I was feeling ready to go. I began searing the shrimp in butter and oil, adding the paprika, salt, and cayenne to the pan. I talked James into dicing the andouille. The andouille happened to be at the butcher shop at a reasonable price! Somebody was looking out for me. I added the previously chopped onions, garlic, shallot, and green onions. I was only supposed to add the green onion bottoms, and save the tops for later. Wait till later.

Next I added tomatoes, and James was kind enough to chop them for me, as I was still remembering to stir the grits. The tomato was then added to the pan with shrimp stock and sour cream to finish off the dish. I was supposed to add the green onion tops here, but could not find them for some time. When I looked into the pan, I thought I noticed some. Then I remembered I stored the tops with the bottom and they had already been tossed into the pan. Oops, it was a classic Tanya moment.

The smothered shrimp was excellent. I'll be craving this recipe one day again. The seared andouille made a great addition, and all the flavors worked great together. I will definitely make this recipe again, and remember that its easier if you chop everything first. I probably won't make it while making asparagus flan again, but you can guess which blog is coming next. Enjoy!

It was a fair amount

No comments:

Post a Comment