Sunday, April 17, 2011

Recipe 82: Apple Tarragon Granita

The challenge: I do not like tarragon...what might I substitute for it. Wait, I need to make this exact the first time. I bought the apple juice and tarragon and a bag of lemons...you only need a few teaspoons of lemon juice, but Emeril uses lemon in nearly everything, so I bought a bag. I already had sugar on hand.

I did buy some fennel so I could remake this recipe with fennel if I did not like it with tarragon. Funny thing...tarragon's taste much improves when processed with some sugar.

I mixed the tarragon sprig and sugar in the food processor until the sugar turned green(natural dye for those who need it). I tasted it, wondering if I'd like this recipe. Surprise, it got better than when I have cooked with tarragon. Then I added 'Farmstand' apple juice and lemon juice and stirred occasionally for ten minutes or so.

I used Simply Fruit's Farmstand style apple juice because it has less sugar than its competitors. It cost a few cents more, but was worth it for the smaller amount of sugar. If you are not worried about sugar consumption, any cheap apple juice will work.

Next, I put it in the freezer and stirred it at 30-45 minute intervals. I made a smaller batch in case I didn't like it. It would be less to toss in the garden. The granita came out icy, fresh, and refreshingly sweet without being overly so. I'm having it for dessert tonight, and now need to find a use for fennel fronds as I think I'm making this whole recipe for another night, or for dessert with the family next week.

Enjoy. It does take about four hours to freeze, but its worth it. I will most likely make this recipe again.

No comments:

Post a Comment