Monday, April 11, 2011

Recipe 78:Creamy Stone-Ground Grits

The challenge: Time, and I have never made grits before, not even instant. I have no idea what they are supposed to look like when they are finished.

I used stone ground corn, as I was told I could and the internet search did not entirely denounce it. It did, however, suggest I use hominy instead of corn. If I make this recipe again, I may look for hominy to test it.

The recipe called for mixing milk and water with salt, pepper and 2T. butter and bringing it to a boil. Then I whisked in the grits and prepared to stir frequently for the next 1 1/4 go 1 1/2 hours while making smothered shrimp and asparagus flan.

I started the grits first because they took the longest and required only a moderate amount of attention throughout. Though I was kept hopping preparing three recipes at once. More on this in the smothered shrimp and andouille recipe as well as the asparagus flan recipe.

An hour and a half, and two recipes later, the grits were decided to be done, and the 8oz. of sharp cheddar cheese was mixed into the grits, we tested the recipe. The grits were better with the cheese, but still a little bland. However, they balanced the richness of the shrimp very well.

I will make this recipe again, with modifications.
When the grits were done enough...

No comments:

Post a Comment