Monday, August 29, 2011

Recipe 111: Pattypan Squash with Bacon, Caramelized Onions, and Cheddar

The challenge: 1)Finding pattypan Squash this far north; 2) Paying attention to the cooking instead of wondering how they came to call it pattypan squash 3) Finding medium cheddar cheese.

Imagine my excitement when I found patty pan squash at the local farmer's market.

The recipe: Boil up to 3# of young and tender patty pan squash(sliced into 1/2" wedges like fries). Slice the squash in half crosswise, then into 1/2" wedges. Set them aside while waiting for the water to boil.

Meanwhile, cook the bacon in an ovenproof 4 or 5 quart straight sided sauce-pan. I don't have one of these. I used my non cast iron dutch oven style pan, and transferred everything to a baking pan near the end. Once the bacon is crisp, transfer to a paper-towel lined plate. While the bacon drains, and the onion and cook until soft and caramelized around the edges, about 6 minutes. Season with 2/3 teaspoon of salt and 1/2 teaspoon of fresh ground black pepper. Add the thyme leaves and butter, stir to combine, then set the saute' pan aside.

Add the other 1/4 cup of salt to the boiling water, and stir to combine. Then drop in the squash, carefully if you take me literally. Cook about 6 minutes until it is crisp tender. Drain and shake gently to remove excess water. Add the squash to the cooked onions and toss gently to combine. This is where I employ the baking pan, 13 x9 usually holds what I need. Then add the crumbled bacon over top of the squash and onions. Next, you layer 8 ounces of medium chedder cheese, shredded on top of the squash, onions and bacon. I veered from my normal exact preparation as I had a hard time finding the right cheese. Kraft makes one, but I wanted something better than Kraft. I've grown accustomed to paying $5.00 for an 8 oz. brick of cheese. But I digress. I chose an Applewood smoked cheddar. It did add good flavor, but would have worked better with a stronger squash.

The patty pan didn't have much flavor, which leaves it to take on the flavors its cooked with, but this didn't quite do that either. Of course, once it was combined with everything, it only baked for ten minutes to melt the cheese, covered with foil.

It was good, but not perfect. It seemed to be missing something, but it was hard to discern what it needed. I will consider making this recipe again, but probably with a zucchini, acorn or buttercup squash, and maybe sausage instead of bacon, depending on my mood;-).

No comments:

Post a Comment