Monday, August 29, 2011

Recipe 110: Corn, Tomato, and Lobster Salad

The challenge: 1) Cooking live lobster (I'll admit, I cheated and bought a tail). 2) The cost of the lobster. 3) Finding a good dry white wine when you drink mostly reds, 4) When the ingredients list moves into the next column, you know you'll be working for this one.

In the end, it was primarily worth it. I might try it with a fresher lobster when I have more disposable cash, otherwise, we might get creative with other fish to replace the lobster.

First you chop two cups of tomatoes, but only roughly. Then you add 2 cups of dry white wine. I purchased a Sauvignon Blanc for this and it seemed to work well. I added the thinly sliced onions to that mix as well as black peppercorns and tarragon sprigs and heated to a boil. Then I simmered for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes I raised the heat to high and dropped the lobster in. I then prepared a bowl of ice water to cool the lobster in when he's done in 13 minutes. I did cook the tail for 13 minutes, and hoped it wasn't too much. It was done, and a 9 oz tail is still a good size. Then I moved the pot to the sink holding the bowl and dropped the lobster in right away and poured more cold water into the ice water to make sure he stayed submerged.

Once it had cooled, I placed the lobster tail on the baking sheet and proceeded to dismantle the tail and separate it from the meat. Then I cut the meat into bite size pieces.

While the lobster was cooking, I chopped the shallot, added the vinegar and lemon juice and zest as well as the olive oil, salt and a little cayenne. Next, I shaved the corn kernels off the cob of the corn I bought on Saturday morning (and had refrigerated until now). Mix this up and set aside for ten minutes.

Next, I cut the multi-colored and shaped cherry and yellow-pear tomatoes in halves and quarters. These made a really pretty pint. I added the tomatoes to the mix, then I added the lobster, chopped tarragon and parsley to the bowl and stirred it to mix gently.

Next, take a medium bowl, mix the Bibb lettuce(8 leaves or less) with the remaining 1 teaspoon of olive oil and salt and black pepper. Stack 2 lettuce leaves on each of four plates. Divide the lobster salad evenly among the lettuce cups and serve immediately.

James had two comments: 1) we could have gotten away with the imitation stuff-I thoroughly disagree. I don't like imitation most of the time. 2) Next time, leave out the lettuce. I could see his point. It didn't seem to add anything but flair. And since I couldn't find Bibb lettuce, I used green leaf lettuce. He would have preffered I used iceberg as a substitute. I won't mention that word again;-).

It was an excellent recipe with a good flavor. The lettuce probably isn't necessary. I will most likely make this recipe again, but am just as likely to try other seafood or even shell fish with this combination. James thought Shrimp would work well. I could go for that;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment