Saturday, August 20, 2011

Recipe 107: Lemon-Scented Blueberry Pancakes

The challenge: Blueberries are only ripe in Michigan for two weeks every year. I have picked them fresh once in my life. Next year, if my truck windows work, I'm taking a child to show them the wonders of fresh blueberries.

The recipe: This was pretty easy, its like making buttermilk pancakes, but with lemon zest, and blueberries added in. If the aforementioned truck windows worked(which I may have found a solution for if it stops raining), I'd have borrowed the kids and made them. These are a great Sunday morning special breakfast. I'd add chocolate chips to make them more fun.

Basically, you toss your blueberries in 1T. of flour, and set aside, once coated. Then you mix flour, corn flour/corn meal, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda and whisk in a medium mixing bowl. Next, you combine buttermilk and milk in a separate mixing bowl and whisk an egg in melted butter until combined in a small bowl. Mix the egg mix into the buttermilk combination. Add the lemon zest and some vanilla extract and stir well. Then add the wet ingredients to the dry. Next fold the blueberries in to the mix while you prepare your skillet.

When water dances on the heated skillet, add a scoop of pancake batter and cook until bubbles appear on the surface. Flip with a spatula and cook about the same amount of time, at least 1-2 minutes, until cakes are golden brown on the bottom. Serve with maple syrup or your favorite peanut butter and jelly combo. Enjoy, and have breakfast few bother to complain about.

I will make this recipe again-just with raspberries and chocolate chips as blueberry stains scare me when I see them on the plate. These were even made one morning while I was going half crazy prepping for the play(it just took me this long to post the recipe). Happy Pancake making!

No comments:

Post a Comment