Friday, July 29, 2011

Recipe 105: Watermelon, Feta, and Arugula Salad with Watermelon Vinaigrette

The challenge: More arugula? Do I really have to eat arugula...I suppose so.
Challenge 2) Red currant jelly: Do we even have that in America? Apparently so, and its on the shelves at Meijer, the regional super-market, or Palace of Hell(in Knitting Paradise terms). Challenge 3: Planning-I can use the watermelon rind to make the watermelon rind crisp sweet pickles with the leftover rind. 4)Convincing James to try this one...he doesn't like arugula, and the red onions aren't friendly to him( I left it off).

The recipe: Jalapeno, red currant jelly, diced watermelon, white wine vinegar, minced garlic, salt, fresh ground black pepper, olive oil then baby arugula, sliced red onions, feta cheese, fresh cracked black pepper.

I admit, I've never considered mixing jalapeno and red currant jelly, however, I've never had red currant jelly, and once I tasted the kick to it, I could see why. I also have no idea what to use the rest of it on.

First you make the vinaigrette by combining jalapeno, red currant jelly, white wine vinegar, minced garlic, salt and black pepper and process until smooth. With the processor still running, add the olive oil in a slow drizzle. You can store this up to 2 days(according to the Emeril Lagasse book).

To make the salad, toss the arugula with a bit of the dressing. Mound the greens in the center of a platter or plate and surround them with the remaining diced watermelon and oinons. Scatter the feta over the salad-as if there's any other way to add crumbled feta;-). Garnish with cracked black pepper to taste(I think I forgot this part.) Serve with the remainder of the dressing on the side.

I made this after making the watermelon rind crisp sweet pickles, but I had this again tonight(with red onion this time) with the veal I made burgers out of. James actually wanted seconds of the salads to go with his veal burger. They went really well together. Normally, he likes arugula less than I do. I have considered using a butter or boston lettuce for this recipe next time. I liked the peppery flavor of the arugula, which works with the watermelon and black pepper; but only if you get the right amount of Arugula in the mix. I had too much the first time and was left with a less appetizing lettuce in my salad.

Aside from the time spent cubing the watermelon into 3/4 inch pieces, this recipe was pretty easy and quick to make. I will most likely make this recipe again, just with a different recipe. I think its also a great recipe for lunch on a hot summer day when you are certainly not cooking;-).

No comments:

Post a Comment