Sunday, July 10, 2011

Recipe 102: Smoked Trout "Soufle"

Wonderful, wonderful wonderful! I will definitely make this recipe again.

The challenge: 1) Finding smoked trout. I just haven't had the time to smoke my own. And that requires more time than I honestly have. 2)Boning the fish 3)Keeping James' cat out of it.

I searched and searched and learned I can't type. James actually saved me on this one, though I'm currently fighting his cat out of the dip. James decided he wanted hamburgers for dinner friday night, and it was supposed to be my turn to cook. So after work, I hustled to the butcher shop to buy the burger, and lo and behold, there was smoked trout. I bought it then and there, only hesitating long enough to make sure I could work it into my budget. Obviously, I did. Then I took the book to Meijer and I picked up the rest of the ingredients I needed for this: gelatin and heavy cream. At home, I already had minced shallot, fresh parsley leaves, chives and pepper.

I did bone the fish and flake it while waiting for dishes to dry early this afternoon. It wasn't quite as difficult as I thought, but I think my cup of coffee helped with this greatly.

I mixed half of the heavy cream into a medium bowl and sprinkled them with two packets of gelatin. I then gently boiled the remaining cup of cream in a saucepan.
While I was waiting for the gelatin to "soften" the cream, and the cream in the pan to boil, I chopped the parsley and chives and dropped them into the food processor.
Then I added the flaked, smoked trout and shallots and poured the now boiling cream over the cold cream and gelatin mix. This started to make small bubbles similar to tapioca pudding, but not as pervasive. only slightly concerned, I processed the smoked trout and veggies in the processor until smooth, and thankfully, realized I'd forgotten the pepper before I added the cream. I added the pepper and processed really quickly, then added in the cream.

Now, the real fun begins: I get to create parchment paper collars for a 12oz ramekin I don't recall having. I find the ramekin, I wash it. I decide my extra storage in the back room is going to be cleaned and used now. Are there any organizers out there that work for food? Finally, after some finagling and a second bowl, I figure out the parchment paper collar and pour in the souffle/mousse. I now set it in the fridge and proceed to work on Peach Freezer Jam to keep myself from getting into the smoked trout stuff.

When I stop home to check my homemade clean out the fridge do it yourself chicken soup, I realized the smoked trout "souffle" is done. I get excited and come back for it after James goes to work-he wasn't keen on trying it until he has a day off due to the dairy content. There may be edits thrown in this week. I spread the dip on one wheat thin flatbread cracker, which I may learn to make myself to save money and for something to do when my play is over. I taste it, and its great. I just want to dive into the bowl with a spoon. So does Putzer, James' cat. My cat, Maeve, is sleeping on the floor without a care about seafood and cream. Putzer on the other hand, is right there, ready to taste. He gets shooed out and the "souffle" gets covered. It will certainly make its way into the fridge before I leave tonight. Not just to be kept cold, as cream and fish should be; but also to keep Putzer out of the dip.

Now I will have to make bread so I can make toast points to serve it on. As I said at the beginning: I will definitely make this recipe again. Please, give me an excuse to make this recipe again. I just need to be able to find the smoked trout;-). I'm so glad this makes more than one serving, or it'd be gone by now.
Happy appetizer making all!

1 comment:

  1. Also, you can find me at the KnittingParadise.com Knitting Tea Party each weekend as much as I can spare.;-). Join me there if you enjoy knitting, or maybe if you're just curious and enjoy tea parties.

    ReplyDelete