Thursday, July 28, 2011

Recipe 104: Toasted Garlic Romano Beans

The taste: wow! The challenge: Romano Beans? Romano? Never heard of them. Checked the stores, checked the seeds, no romano beans. Emeril says you can use regular green beans, so I did. Challenge #2: getting all the ingredients in one place. Since beginning my play practice, I've tried to cook once a week, but its summer and James' home is cooler. So, I'm here more, and I try to bring over the ingredients, but I always forget something necessary to the recipe that James' doesn't have.

When I actually made it, I must admit I forgot the thyme, and I meant to add it in for the leftovers, but I forgot. Luckily, I'm willing to make this recipe again.

The recipe: 1 1/2# romano beans, 1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil, 1/3 cup thinly slicked garlic, 1 cup halved cherry or grape tomatoes, thyme, rosemary leaves, oregano leaves, kosher salt, black pepper, chicken stock.

The method: Fill a medium bowl of ice and cold water, and set it aside. Boil a large saucepan of lightly salted water. Add the romano beans to cook until crisp tender-2 to 4 minutes. Drain the beans immediately and submerge in the ice bath. Once they are cool enough to handle, drain well and trim the ends. Cut the beans into 2 inch lengths, set aside.

Next, Heat half of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring until toasted, lightly about 1-2 minutes. Then add the rest of the olive oil and the toamotes, thyme, rosemary, oregano, salt and pepper. Stir frequently while cooking until the tomatoes soften slightly, about 2 minutes. Add in the stock and the romano beans, and cook, stirring, until the beans are heated through and well-coated with the garlic and tomato mix, approximately 2 to 3 minutes. Serve immediately.

This was excellent and very flavorful, and a nice, fresh way to have beans. It didn't last long;-) and I still forgot the thyme even with the leftovers, which the thyme could only enhance this dish. I fully recommend it, but my tiredness is showing. One tip, chop all your vegetables and prep your spices in advance.

I will definitely make this recipe again.

No comments:

Post a Comment