Friday, May 20, 2011

Recipe 92: Emeril's Homemade Mayonnaise

Almost as much of a stitch as the Garden Celery with Homemade Pimento Cheese, but not as much as its just a smidgen easier and slightly less interrupted. While grating the 8oz of cheese for the pimento dip, I realized I needed the cheese at room temperature, and eggs for the mayonnaise. I set the cheese aside, and went to get the eggs. On the way to get the eggs, my nephew reminded me of his concert in less than an hour a half hour away. I finished my errands, grabbed my knitting, sped(only a little) to the concert, and walked in as the instructor was still introducing the band and his reasons for picking Jukebox Sunday. Of course, my family was sitting in the front row. I joined them, situated my young nieces to make room for me, and sat down to hear them begin with Takin' Care of Business. I could hang out here. And now, as asked on the knitting page I'm on, when I'm not cooking or reading or knitting, I'm taking my knitting out in public so people see people knit(and we're not all old grandmas-that does crack me up).

I listened to the band, knit, and chatted quietly and shushed my nieces. Then I got home ten minutes before James(my boyfriend) had to leave for work. Then I went home and began to make the mayonnaise. The egg and egg yolk was supposed to be at room temperature-I see a pattern forming here. I finished grating the cheese, which does not go into the mayonnaise. So, back to the mayo.

I place the egg and egg yolk in the food processor, add 1 1/2 tsps of freshly squeezed lemon juice, a little dijon mustard, some minced garlic, kosher salt and a pinch of ground white pepper or cayenne pepper(more to taste). I pulsed to combine, then mixed the oils and prepared to pour into a running food processor in a thin, steady stream. I've never had a problem with the oil, but I've always managed to get it into mostly a thin, steady stream. This same note was on a Paula Deen recipe I once made. If you don't add the oil in a thin, steady stream both chefs inform me there will be problems. Emeril tells me the mayonnaise will break. While I'm not entirely certain what that means, I'm assuming separate; I'm not sure I want to find out.

I will only make this recipe again on an as needed basis. It makes a good mayonnaise, fresh is always better and worth the work, but I don't eat/use a lot of mayonnaise-now I need to find a use for the mayo.

No comments:

Post a Comment