Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Recipe 87: Escarole Soup

The challenge...mincing 10 cloves of garlic and chopping 1 large onion. Oh, and getting the soup into the fridge without spilling it down your pants(still hot) is considered a very good thing.

No matter how simple the recipe, I seem to find a way to keep things interesting. The soup itself-garlic-10 cloves, 1 large onion, 1/2 teaspoon or a full teaspoon of crushed red pepper, 8 cups of chicken stock/broth (I used half stock, half broth) wasn't great. However, its early in the season for lettuce, so this escarole was a little on the bitter side. Then again, that might be how its supposed to be. It sweetened up and mellowed out in the stock and garlic-or there was enough garlic to cover the bitterness.

I grated the pecorino-romano and parmigiano-reggiano cheeses to add in afterwords and topped with fresh parsley. Now its not just okay, its very good. I could see where the fresh chives would work very well in here-I need to grab some on the way home tonight.

It wasn't crave worthy, and other stories were slightly more interesting to tell first this morning at work. But, its made and its good. Maybe it will be better re-heated the second day. Just make sure there's room in the fridge when you go to put it in. I did spill a full quart of hot soup on myself and that wasn't fun. Of course, now I have to figure out how to clean this up and attend to the mild burning sensation I'm not discussing in polite company.

I was glad it was dark and the neighbors were likely in bed as I tossed the lettuce from the soup outside. I was also glad it didn't all fit into the container I spilled, but that came after the clean up. This way, I don't have to prep another side dish for dinner tonight. Here's hoping I don't attempt to clean the other half of my kitchen floor with soup;-). My mild burning sensation is fine now and allowed me to wear pants to work today, so enjoy a good laugh at my expense.

I will probably make this recipe again, when I next need to mop my kitchen floor;-).

No comments:

Post a Comment