Sunday, March 27, 2011

Recipe 73: Gumbo Z’Herbes with Smoked Ham and Wild Rice

The challenge: 1) The ingredient list is nearly a page and a half long, double what I usually have to work with. In the end it’s worth it. 2) What in the world is file’ powder? File’ powder is the thickener, based from the sassafras root-Arrow root or Corn starch can be used, but they won’t give you the same rootbeer flavor of fil`e powder

I went shopping for this recipe and forgot the smoked ham and decided to get the cheaper File’ powder at Witbeck’s, my local grocer. When I got to Witbeck’s, I remembered that I needed smoked ham. They talked me into trying what they had, it tasted like ham. Like plain, regular, nothing to get excited about ham. I’m not a big fan of ham, but I let them talk me into it, and wondered how I was going to use it, since I wasn’t putting it into the recipe. This sent me into a week long pondering of the word exact.

I try to make these recipes as exact as possible the first time through; this is how they were intended to be made. And you just don’t mess with a good gumbo recipe, unless you’re replacing the smoked ham it calls for with shrimp and andouille. But that’s why I am doing this project and not someone who would give up after the Cheesy Creole Tomato Pie.

The next day, I got up and decided to search out smoked ham. I thought of driving the 15 miles back into Mount Pleasant to go to the butcher shop, but that did not sound appealing, especially with gas prices being what they are. I looked for a butcher shop and Clare. I thought I found one, only a few miles away. I called and left a message to make sure his prices weren’t outrageous. He called me back just before I left to tell me they do processing only. Since I haven’t killed any pigs lately, which left me in a bit of a pinch. I thanked him, cursed my luck and decided to search out the Amish. The first store I stopped at sold novelty stuff and canning supplies and cast iron cook ware. I drooled, bought some Heirloom tomato seeds and asked for suggestions of where to get smoked ham. The young lady behind the counter sent me on to Surrey discount foods where I found snacks and smoked ham. It had already been packaged, but it was cheaper than what I had bought at Witbeck’s the day before. I also found some Elderberry jelly and Rooibos Vanilla Latte-cheap. I suspect I’ll be returning to that cute little store.

I approached this recipe with a bit more organization than normal. I attempted chopping everything before hand, and put all the greens in the steamer basket of the 8 quart stock pot I’d be making this in. It made it easier to bathe and rinse them all at once. I began with oil, onion, green onions and garlic. I’m beginning to see this as an Emeril soup making theme. I sauteed them until tender, then added the smoked ham to cook for two minutes. Then I added the greens, a handful at a time. Really, I scooped them into a small bowl and dumped them in, prepped the next bowl, stirred and waited for each batch to wilt before adding the next. This step does take a little patience.

The greens, specifically for this recipe are in ½ # lots-which mean you just might have enough to make two pots, or a double batch. They are Spinach, collards, turnip, and cabbage.

Once all the greens are wilted, add 3 quarts of chicken stock (low-sodium broth may be substituted), the wild rice, bay leaves, salt, a little cayenne pepper and thyme. Once this boils, simmer for one hour. Tasting is recommended here, with the note that the greens should be a little spicy and the rice should be tender and puffed.

If you like thicker soups, or a thick gumbo, as I suspect most of us do, add the file’ powder here-a tablespoon. Stir it in a little at a time until thickened. Simmer three minutes more. Do not let the gumbo boil again once you have added the file’. Garnish with chopped parsley and green onions. I must admit, by the time I got done with this, I entirely forgot the green onion part of the garnish, but I did add the parsley. It does add something, as would the green onion, but this gumbo stands up just fine on its own.

It was excellent, and I may be spoiled for future gumbos, unless the include shrimp and andouille;-). I will definitely make this recipe again. Maybe this week, I have all the stuff after all. Happy eating!

No comments:

Post a Comment