Saturday, March 5, 2011

Recipe 64: Orange Curd

The challenge: Where to begin...
1) I made the Rosemary Buttermilk Scones discussed in a very early recipe for this recipe when I woke today, or shortly after waking. It was actually pretty easy. If I'd had more eggs on hand, I'd have made the orange curd then, and maybe burned the scones waiting for something. Or the scones would have been cooling in the oven while I made the curd. I did include 1/2 whole wheat flour and used dried rosemary. Next time, I will use a little more rosemary or fresh rosemary. I believe fresh rosemary had better flavor.

2) I don't particularly care for the word curd, it suggests you're going to make milk bad, but rest assured there is no milk in this recipe. However, I love orange juice and orangecicles and most things orange, or with orange in them. So, what's taken me so long to make this recipe? 1) I just haven't gotten to it, 2) Oranges are actually in season right now. 3) I forget how much I love orange type stuff.

3) Making this recipe reminded me of orange marmalade, which I just love and always have. My mother must have thought me an anomaly growing up, or wondered if they switched children in the hospital. Since I grew up dirt poor in a hostile environment I wouldn't likely wish on my worst enemy(except maybe on a really, really bad day), orange marmalade was something we didn't buy. I was the only one who liked it, and there was rarely, if ever any money to purchase such a luxury for me. I learned to love sales, if I could find orange marmalade on sale for about half-price, I could talk my mother into it. I also learned to sort of enjoy the results of the embarrassment behind having to call the food bank. They were my biggest supplier of orange marmalade and I knew then, someone or something was looking out for me. No sooner did that jar come in the door to be unpacked, than I was popping two pieces of toast in the toaster. I would do this nearly everyday until the marmalade I loved so much was gone.

I should get to the recipe, but indulge me one more story, in case you ever need a stocking stuffer, or a simple gift that will be appreciated. My mother used to put oranges and/or apples in our stockings to fill the toes. They were the right size and healthy and cheap. She really was trying, most days. However, she didn't understand one thing about buying the oranges or apples she'd put in the stocking. I don't think she ever ate one herself. She always tossed them in the cart, and my poor, sympathetic heart could hear/feel the apples bruising. Oranges, being softer were more quiet about their bruises. But I knew I wouldn't be eating many, if any of those apples and oranges after they were dropped in the bottom of the cart. I would rather have had the jar of marmalade in the toe of my Christmas stocking. Oddly enough, I rarely think to buy marmalade now, or make toast with it. Maybe its an old habit.

So, how do you go from orange curd to orange marmalade? It's easy, add simple syrup;-) and omit the butter, maybe. I'm inspired now to find and make homemade marmalade. After all, why do we stand over the stove for 30 minutes to a few hours whisking our wrists into a painful submission to make these recipes? Because we know its better when its homemade, and its worth it, so you make it last if you can.

I started with a few oranges and squeezed the juice out of about 3 of them. I then boiled and whisked my wrist away to make a reduction to a half cup of orange juice, about 1/3 of the liquid and pulp I had when I started. I did sneak in and zest the oranges first as the recipe called for 2 teaspoons of orange peel. I also chopped the peel as finely as my impatient heart would let me. While the orange juice itself reduced, I read a blog called "Why I am not married." I was curious, and finally a woman stood up and decided its not because there's something wrong with me, though some days that may be it, but because I choose not to be. I have to say, I was cheering for her. I even would like to make another stab at marriage, but there is nothing wrong for a woman not to marry today.--That could be an entirely separate blog. I enjoyed it, and found that as long as I checked my orange juice periodically and stirred at that time, it reduced just fine without me.

Once the juice was reduced to a medium volume 1/2 cup of liquid, I turned off the heat and began separating out 6 egg yolks-looks like I'm having egg white omelettes for breakfast with my scones and curd;-). I filled a medium pot 1/3 full of water and began to boil it as I prepped the rest of the ingredients. I measured and set aside the sugar, and I've mentioned I already had the lemon zest ready. After another moment or two, I began to whisk these items together and add in the slightly cooled orange juice.

Here, you really get to whisk your wrist off, and any other parts that try to help you whisk. 6-7 minutes over medium low heat will remind you that you need the warming lotion on your wrists tonight, especially after typing your blog including childhood stories. I think I whisked for nearly ten minutes on medium-low heat, before I decided it was holding its shape as the recipe book suggested it would do in 6-7 minutes. I think I was approaching medium heat, but maybe not. At last, after ten minutes, I pulled the curd off the heat and added the cold butter pieces, about a half a stick, cut into small pieces. Then I got to make an ice bath and strain the liquid over a fine mesh sieve.

Once I began straining the liquid, I noticed the peels and the thickening, and I started to think of orange marmalade. While this brought on memories of moments I enjoyed in childhood, it also set me up a little for an almost disappointment. The curd doesn't include this strangely enjoyable bitterness of orange zest in the end, other than the essence, and isn't quite as sweet or as flavorful as the marmalade I remember from childhood. I also reheated the scone a tad and wonder if it wasn't too much. The curd tasted good on its own, but it doesn't knock you over with orange flavor. If you like your oranges subtle, this is a recipe for you. If you like your oranges to knock you out, you may have to find me on another blog down the road;-). It was still pretty good. And in the morning, I'm going to enjoy a hearty orange curd topped rosemary buttermilk scone for breakfast. Then I might just go buy some orange marmalade, or some mason jars and make my own.

I will definitely make this recipe again. I may use different oranges-cara cara or some other exotic blends, and/or I will leave in the peel and the pulp (which I did to one small jar of this) and see if I like it even better. More importantly, I have been inspired to find a good orange marmalade recipe that may keep me canning for years to come. Somehow, I think that will go really well on a whole-wheat or honey-wheat english muffin with a fried egg.

Until we meet again, my friends...happy marmalades...and if you hate orange marmalade, I'm really sorry, but it means more for me;-).

1 comment:

  1. I fancy blood oranges over all the other varieties, with clementines coming in a close second.

    ReplyDelete