Monday, March 14, 2011

Recipe 71: Black Pepper Maple Syrup

The challenge: 1) Boiling maple syrup without boiling over-did not happen; 2)Convincing James he would like this meal.

This is the last part of a four part meal I made for friends. There were just enough left-overs to bring home for James and I for dinner. I decided to and left other food at Andrea's that we hadn't finished.

The black pepper maple syrup was pretty easy, but it was also expensive. Grade A dark Amber maple syrup does come in 12 oz containers, but for a price. In addition, 1/8 tsp fresh ground black pepper and 2T. hot sauce as well as 1" of scraped vanilla bean pod goes in(from the whipped vanilla butter.

Now combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil-I recommend a medium saucepan if you are as unlucky as I am to turn your back for the five seconds it takes maple syrup to boil over. Since it only needed to come to a boil, I removed the pan from the heat and attempted to contain the mess. Then I got to begin washing a burner and cooktop area. I was grateful the stove came apart easily for cleaning. I really hope I got it all. Note to self, it is still better to watch a small pot not boil than to have a boil-over of maple syrup, no matter what you added to it.

Once the syrup was done, it was set aside as I finished the chicken and the waffles. I then set everything up and served up a delicious meal that greatly resembles soul-food and tasted wonderful. The maple syrup was drizzled over the chicken as well as the waffles, and I have some left over for the next adventure, hopefully without boiling;-).

Not to mention that all of this weeks recipes were completed in one day and my budget may have survived to fight another day, I hope. Now to finish grocery shopping for the rest of the week;-).

I will make this recipe again, when I have a roomier budget and when I'm up for this sort of adventure again. Happy reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment