Sunday, September 18, 2011

Recipe 113: Spicy Tomato Jam

Challenge: Keeping enough tomatoes in the house to make this recipe. It seems I'm always putting tomatoes into dinner.

I made this recipe nearly two weeks ago(I believe). Its been sitting in my fridge waiting for me to remember to try it and use it on chicken or crackers and cheese. I think it goes best with cream cheese. The reason I didn't blog then--as I likely should have--I was logging on long enough to check in, make a couple of comments to piss off the whiny facebook friends and play a game or two and run off to do non-computer stuff.

Explanations aside, we have a recipe to make. As recipes go, this one was pretty easy the first time around. Chop about 4 medium or large tomatoes, 5 small ones(about 3#), add in two lemons-peeled, seeded, and flesh finely chopped. Use the peel to scent something else or discard. Add in a fresh minced ginger and a little crushed red pepper. Next add in 1 1/2 cups of sugar and a pinch or two of salt.

Bring all of this to a boil then reduce to a brisk simmer for about 30-35 minutes. Skim off any foam that forms during this time. Sterilize your jars during this time, if you haven't already.

When most of the liquid has evaporated, pour into pint or half-pint sized jars and process for 10-15 minutes in a water bath.

Let cool overnight and enjoy over chicken or on crackers with cheese. I'm thinking cream cheese. I made ginger-curried chicken tonight to enjoy it with, and am considering using this as a tangy topping for the top of a cheesecake.

Since I'm in the process of making a double/triple batch again-I didn't get enough to share the first time, I will definitely make this recipe again. Depending on the upcoming availability of tomatoes, it may become a Christmas gift...but I got many more jars of the upcoming Green Tomato Piccalilli. Happy jam-making. One note: I do think it would go faster to make multiple smaller batches of this recipe as opposed to one big batch. I may change that opinion as I make this more.

No comments:

Post a Comment