Sunday, February 27, 2011

Recipe 62: Braised Pinto Beans

Bam! I am not big on pinto beans usually, they are often flavorless, but last night and today, I worked Emeril magic on these beans and created a near delicacy. The recipe calls for fresh pinto beans, which are no-where to be found in Michigan in winter, so I picked up a pound of dried pinto beans and soaked them overnight in water. I was careful to drain them first thing in the morning; I've had beans mold in their water before. I must confess, beans are not a strong point of my cooking repertoire. I've tried the quick-soak method, and they stay crunchy; I've tried the overnight method and they've stayed crunchy or as above, molded. But I'm not a girl to be beaten that easily. I may scream and complain along the way, which I didn't this time; but I will not be beaten by beans.

So, how do you make pinto beans worthy of asking for seconds, or having for dinner alone? You add some key flavorful ingredients that work great as a soup without the beans. First, you slice and cook or cook and slice applewood-smoked bacon. Then you add some diced onions and a clove or two of minced garlic. Next you add some finely chopped cilantro stems. With that, mince and toss in a jalapeno. You can take out the ribs and seeds if you don't want too much heat. Beans handle the heat well. Then you add a pinch or two of sweet paprika and a couple pinches of salt. Stir this occasionally until the onions are soft, about 3 minutes.

Now you add the beans and the chicken stock or broth. Bring it to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook uncovered for an hour, or until the beans are tender. It took a little longer than an hour to make these beans tender. James and I ate the rest of dinner, then tried the beans again and they still weren't ready. I turned them off while we watched worst cooks at his house. When I went to bed that night, they still weren't ready. I did taste the braising liquid, and as I said above, it would make a great soup.

In the morning, they felt softer, but I decided I was done playing games with the beans and re-heated them to a boil. Then I let them boil for a few moments, between 10 and 20. Then I cooked them on low heat for about an hour again, around 3 instead of between 1 and 2 on my stove. They came around after the application of extra heat. Finally! I got to taste them. Excellent.

I even divvied up a portion for James when he stopped by. I haven't gotten his take on them yet. I had my nephew's band concert to attend this afternoon and have been a little busy since. I did remember later that some chopped cilantro and oregano leaves were supposed to be added to the beans before serving, so I added them. It wasn't night and day, the braising sauce stood up well on its own, but it was still good.

As I said before, I'd eat the braising sauce as a simple soup. Though at one point when smelling it, I thought the only thing missing is a ham hock. The recipe is so versatile I'm tempted to make it again with the cranberry beans I have and add celery and whatever other vegetables need to be used. After all, I have a bit of applewood-smoked bacon that needs to be finished off.

I will definitely make this recipe again, and share it with others. Another plus, its budget friendly, especially if you find the bacon at the farmer's market in the summer, vacuum-packed. However, unless I wait till April when this batch is gone, I may be visiting my local butcher's shop. The recipe only calls for four ounces, so you get some breakfast goodies, or any of many other uses that can be found for bacon. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I use a slow cooker whenever I make dried beans, I hate crunchy beans!

    ReplyDelete